Email users used to search; how to safe Gmail from hackers? How to stop if someone trying to hack my Gmail account? How to secure Gmail account with mobile number? Where to report a hacked Gmail account? Secure Google account? How to secure my email account? How to improve your Gmail account security? And so on.
Google always keep SECURITY & SAFETY on first to protect your Gmail Account. The Google account is very valuable to us, so it's crucial that we secure it to prevent cyber threats like hacking.
An email is the most valuable part of anybody as it shows the online identity on the web and we all have important information stored in our email account. And if you ever have stuck that your Gmail account has been hacked, then you must change your login password quickly. But how to protect Gmail account? How to be more secure from such hacking issues?
Don't worry! Some quick primary tips will further help you to strengthen your Gmail account security so that if anybody else cannot enter to your Google mail account. Follow these steps on a regular basis to help keep Gmail account more secure to prevent unauthorized access. Learn to tighten Gmail security to keep Gmail account safer and secure it from hackers with new ways including two-step verification and authentication, password resetting or managing account privacy.
Last time you saw, Remove Large Size Emails to Clear Gmail Space & Increase Storage and today we are going to see some security tips for all Gmail users to ensure the security protection against hackers and unauthorized access. Guard your account in just a few minutes by reconsidering your own security settings
15 Ways To Secure Your Gmail AccountMake sure to bookmark this page and keep checking for new security updates help secure your Google Account.
Follow 15 most secure ways to protect your Gmail account:
1. Set up & turn ON 2-step verification.Google has added 2-step verification system to ensure your Gmail security to be strong. In this process; you'll get OTP (one-time password) on your registered mobile number to log in your account.
To enable this feature:
Sign in Gmail >> go to your profile >> select the option 'My Account' >> select the option 'Sign-in & Security' >> go to 'Password & Sign-in Methods' below password setting you'll see the 2-step verification option >> turn ON. Now you'll enter the setup >>
Step 1: Enter your mobile number.
Step 2: Write the OTP that you've received on your mobile and verify it.
Step 3: If you are turning ON 2-step verification from a personal computer or trusted device, check the "trust this device" box. You will only be requested to enter a verifying code when you signed to this account once per 30 days.
Step 4. Confirm the setup.
Note: Make a backup of the phone number and printable backup codes as the options to access your account in case if you lose your phone. This makes your account impenetrable.
You must aware about Top 3 Challenges for Staying Safe Online While You Surfing The Internet | Beginners Guide
2. HTTPS protections in Gmail.By using this security step, your data is encrypted before transmission or communication with the server.
In Gmail Account, click 'settings' >> set 'Browser Connection' to 'Always use https' >> click 'Save changes'
After changing this, you'll notice that the URL is showing https:// rather that simple http:// which indicates that mail is encrypted between your browser and the Google server.
[Don't worry if you don't see this option in your settings as nowadays Gmail has already made these security settings as a default setting for all Gmail accounts.]
Do you know? How to Access Facebook Account with THREE Passwords [Facebook Security]
3. Monitor granted external account access.If a hacker obtains the access to your account then most probably he may add his account to our working account. Instead of adding our own with another account; always check regularly if there is any suspicious account you didn’t authorize access is added to your gmail.
In Gmail; Setting >> account & import >> grant access to your account >> select 'mark conversation as read when opened'
You must know; 7 Best Ways To Protect Against Petya/ GoldenEye Ransomware | Online Security
4. Revoke unauthorized access.When you had given permission to any website or app to access your Google account, and it may sometimes;, the hackers uses this technique to access your Gmail.
Go to: https://security.google.com/settings/permissions
Log in your Gmail account, and open the link given above. You'll see the list of sites & apps that you’ve granted access to Gmail. Click 'Revoke Access' if you find something doubtful. And remove it quickly.
Related; 6 Ways To Protect An eCommerce Website [Online Store] Against Hacks & Frauds
5. Keep an eye on account activity.To check out the account activity is the best way to keep watch on hackers and spammers.
For this: Sign in your Gmail account >> scroll down >> at the bottom you will notice 'Last Account Activity: (no)… Minutes ago' >> click 'Details'
You will see 'Access Type,' 'Location (IP address)' and 'Date'
Note: Set an alert preference so that Gmail will alert you when it detects unusual activity. Always monitor the activity information panel every time you notice something weird stuff in your Gmail account.
You may also like to read; Top 10 Best WordPress Security Plugins To Protect Your Website & Data
6. Tackle on your own if Gmail's filters aren't enough.Websites which you visit when you are already signed in Gmail; those several sites can attempt to extract information from your Gmail by using the filter. These filter can potentially transfer email as long as you have configured filters in your account. Therefore it's important to check account setting to delete any unwanted suspicious filter.
Settings >> click 'Filter & blocked addresses' >> Delete filter that didn't put there before.
Check out; Top 3 Challenges for Staying Safe Online While You Surfing The Internet | Beginners Guide
7. Forwarding & POP/IMAP.Also, check 'Forwarding & POP/IMAP' settings to check whether there is no foreign forwarding address included apart from those assigned by you.
Settings >> Forwarding & POP/IMAP >> if there is foreign address >> Remove/ Delete
Check out; Difference POP Vs IMAP Exchange | Mail Clients | Pros & Cons
Related; 8 Best Blogging Safety Tips to Make Your Blog Safe & Secure
8. Phishing: Avoid and report Google scams.This is a most important point, as there are lots of cases happened because of this phishing attack where phishing emails were asking for personal information. Never click any link in the email which requests you for information regarding the bank, credit card details or any other personal, financial information. Whenever you find such fraudulent mail, report immediately to Google.
Sign in >> open such mail >> click down arrow next to reply >> Report Phishing.
Also read: Unsubscribe From All Spam & Most Annoying Email Subscription Lists
9. Review attachments.Google has the virus scan features for both incoming & outgoing attachments. Always use it. Even if you get some attachments which do not expect then recommended not to download it. It could carry malware that can risk your account.
Precaution is always better than cure so you may ask the sender what kind of attachment it is.
Also, check; Is Antivirus Required For Android Phones? Tips to Remove Malware from Phone | Android Security
10. Disable 'Allow less secure apps' option.Because of allowing less secure apps your Gmail account will be able to access your account.
To disable this option:
My account >> Connected apps & site >> disable 'Allow less secure apps'
When a less security third-party app tries to access your Gmail account, Google blocks it by disabling this option.
11. Password & security questions.Your PASSWORD keeps your email account safe and secure more. So make a strong password which consists of words that are difficult to guess. It must contain;
1. Random Words
Type of Passwords those are about to 16 digits passwords is considered as strong. Google provides us with 200 characters space for the password.
Suggetion: Create a security question which has an absolutely wrong answer. Make it nonsense as possible as, but the answer should be related to your past that you can easily remember.
Settings >> Account & import >> change recovery option >> edit >> Question.
12. Recovery option.In case; if your account gets hacked, then you must have configured recovery option before, to get back account access. So your mobile number and another email id should be given to the Gmail server.
Sign in >> my account >> sign in & security >> account recovery >> Add your mobile number & email ID.
13. Encryption.Although you have strong security, you might end up with hacking and phishing. So you also need to adopt 'browser security plug-in or addons to your Gmail to make more strengthen the security.
There are some browser plugins like 'virtue', 'web of trust (WOT)' etc.
14. Google security checkup & keep system updated.Go through the Google checkup once a month. This will help you to recognize unauthorized activities on your Gmail.
Sign in >> my account >> Security Checkup.
15. Good & secure habits.There are simple things which you can do every time:
1. Clear browsing history every time.
2. Log out every time.
3. Most important thing is that never give your password to anyone.
These are straightforward and quick tips by which you can secure your Gmail account. If you know anything new or better than these, please share those with us via the comment section below. We would prefer to add them to this page directly. Also, don't forget to share this page with your friends to make and help them to secure their Gmail account.
⚠ DisclaimerWe are one of the type of a professional review site that operate like any other website on the internet. We respect & trust our readers. And we are confident & would like to mention that the above post contains some affiliate/referral links. And if you make a purchase; we receive commission from the links/apps/products we refer. We are totally unbiased and do not accept paid reviews or fake reviews claiming to be something they are not. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
Get The Latest Post Delivered Free to Your Inbox
Join over 2000+ people who get FREE and fresh content from this Blog. We Respect Privacy, You are Safe! No Spam!