Web developers used to search for; how to secure & protect eCommerce websites? How to fraud protect your ebusiness? How to secure eCommerce platform & sensitive customer data? How to build secure eCommerce website? How to make shopping site secure? How do I know a site is secure? How do you protect your website that fights against hacking to save sensitive customer data from being stolen? How to safeguard most secure credit card for online purchases on your online store? Any eCommerce fraud protection tips, online payment security tips and so on...
The online shopping is everywhere, and it becomes so common for the user with the mobile phone in hand used to compare the products by various shopping sites. As because a convenient alternative to the traditional shopping; in last few years the growth of eCommerce business has increased remarkably the momentum (still/will) keep progressing upwards in 2019-20 as well. And the online transactions has now become an essential part of our daily lives. On the other hand; this new internet trend has also resulted globally in the increased risk of security threats like virus attacks, DOS attacks, phishing attacks, ransomware, malware or spyware used for stealing, destroying or modifying sensitive customers’ data. Shopping sites are targetting in stealing social security numbers, credit card information & other customer confidential data. According to a threat report, more than 25000 websites are hacked per day in 2015. As we have now arrived in 2019, this statistic has possibly grown even bigger.
Hackers are always in the pursuit of social security numbers, credit card details and other confidential data from the eCommerce sites. For any shopping site and their online retailers, the website security is the primary consideration to run a successful online business; so keeping a close eye on security is most important for every eCommerce retailer.
If the customer or buyer found your shopping site is not secure then all your promotion and marketing efforts will fail to drive desired results in no time. Even a comparatively minor breach can be damaging to customer confidence, and so security for eCommerce websites should be the first concern for every eCommerce site owner. As a web developer with an eCommerce store, it’s your first job to keep your website secure to stop hackers and prevent customer data loss. As a web designer, online security should top the list of all your priority. With the right approach, you cannot just only save your e-business, but also sensitive customer data.
Here, I walk through the best security practices that all eCommerce retailers that'll help to make sure that the website is secure & safe to fight again hacks & frauds preventing online hacking to run the online shopping site business successfully.
Last time you have seen 7 Actionable Tips For A Better Performing eCommerce Website and today we are going to see how to secure online shopping site to prevent frauds and digital hacks.
Also check: Why Online Retailers Must Focus More on E-commerce Mobile Apps
6 Ways to Protect Ecommerce Site Against Hacking & FraudHackers are always eager to steal your sensitive information like credit card or personal data from your e-commerce site. Get these quick tips from eCommerce & security expert about how to keep your shopping site away from frauds and hacks.
So, the real question is how you can ensure the safety of an eCommerce website? For you, we have listed below the best ways to deal with the security issues:
1. Choose The Most Secure PlatformAmong all the available platforms, always opt for the one which uses a more sophisticated object-oriented programming language. They are far more secure & reliable than the others available.
The reason what makes them better is because of the administrative panel that is made inaccessible to the hackers, with an exception to the internal network. This is what will remove you from the public facing servers prone to attacks.
An additional secondary authentication can also be used to authenticate the users with the internal windows network.
You may like to know about the most secure platform and 9 Facts Why WordPress CMS Is The Best Blogging Platform than Blogger BlogSpot
2. Toughen The Password Requirement For You CustomersIt is the responsibility of the retailer to keep the information of the customer's safe at the back end. But, you can also help the customer to help themselves by opting for a minimum number of characters, symbols, and numbers for a complex password. Though your customer might grumble at first, it's better to be safe than getting hacked.
Do not just ask the customer to comply with your password requirements? Make them aware of the fact why they need a complex password and the extra information too. By doing so, you'll definitely gain some loyalty points for being honest and customer-centric.
You may also like to know how Facebook updated their password policy; [Facebook Security Alert] Use 3 Passwords To Access Facebook Account // FB Update
3. Use Secure Encrypted ConnectionsAn encrypted communication between the website and the browsers while transmitting confidential information is always encouraged. But, to keep the hackers at bay, it becomes immensely vital to maintaining and update strong encryption algorithms such as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) or TLS (Transport Security Layer).
However, SSL certificates are the ones highly recommended to authenticate the identity of your business and encrypt that data in the transit. This helps to protect the customer's financial or important information from getting stolen along with preventing the fraudulent purchases.
RECOMMENDED: Wildcard SSL Certificates & Its Importance to Business | PR | DA | SEO | Security Certification
4. Don't Store The Sensitive Data, Be PCI CompliantThe question is why would you even want to store the records of your customers' credit card numbers, expiration dates, and other codes? Well, according to us there isn't any reason? As per the regulation of the PCI Security Standards Council, any merchant who accepts debit/credit cards offline or online strictly needs to comply with its rules to keep the payment data of the customer secure else, face tough penalties.
So, the bottom line is: use an encrypted checkout tunnel to eliminate the need for your servers to even see sensitive data. The inconvenience caused to the customers that time will outweigh the risk of compromising their data. This way you won't be robbed when you won't have anything to be stolen from.
As a user, you must know; Top 12 Best Ways To Identify & Protect Against Phishing Scams | Email Phishing Prevention
5. Make The Use Of The Address And Card Verification SystemsThe security of your eCommerce site lies in your own hand. It is acceptable to trust but never ever forget to verify your customers. Use the AVS, the fraud tool. It verifies the billing address of the credit card stored on it with the address on file at the credit card company. Whereas, the CVV is a three to four-digit security code printed on the credit cards.
Since it cannot be stored with the rest of the details according to the PCI rules, it makes it virtually impossible for the fraudsters to get it unless they steal the card physically. Pay attention, if you are among those using extensions for payments and other services. Make sure to first of all get an extension from a trustworthy place such as Magento multi-vendor marketplace. And, to those do add these systems to your defense parameters.
6. Monitor Your Site Regularly And Add System Alerts For Suspicious ActivitiesManaging an eCommerce website is one hell of a job, but without regular monitoring the whole system is incomplete. It can be done with the help of a real-time analytics tool, to ensure that hackers and identity thieves have not introduced malware, viruses or harmful software into the advertisements, graphics or the other content.
The process of scanning and monitoring also needs to be done regularly on the servers of your hosting provider. Do make sure; they have a plan that includes daily scanning, detection, and removal of the malware and viruses on the website while backing it up. Therefore, choose your web hosting provider wisely like BlueHost. Whereas, the same real-time analytics tool can also be used to receive alerts of the suspicious activities, allowing you to act quickly and prevent from causing any harm.
Don't forget to check the latest update; 7 Actionable Tips To Protect Against Petya/GoldenEye Ransomware | Online Security
Bottom LineSo, do not let your customers down. They are smart and prefer security over anything else. By following the above security measures, you can ensure that to your customers and make them happy.
Most of the readers don’t share as they feels that we as bloggers don’t require their tiny social share. But here’s the fact…
I've developed this blog piece by piece, your one small share at a time, and will continue encouraging me to do so. So I appreciate your support if you share this page on your social profile.
My dear reader! it won’t take more than 5 sec. of your time. The share buttons are there, please share and subscribe.
⚠ DisclaimerWe are one of the type of a professional review site that operate like any other website on the internet. We respect & trust our readers. And we are confident & would like to mention that the above post contains some affiliate/referral links. And if you make a purchase; we receive commission from the links/apps/products we refer. We are totally unbiased and do not accept paid reviews or fake reviews claiming to be something they are not. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
Get The Latest Post Delivered Free to Your Inbox
Join over 2000+ people who get FREE and fresh content from this Blog. We Respect Privacy, You are Safe! No Spam!