Be a successful freelancer —
In all my posts I always encourage people to take up Freelancing as a career choice over regular jobs. So if it is so difficult to be a freelancer, why am I suggestion it to everyone?
Answer is very simple. Firstly, if you see my article about future prospects of freelancing, many people will be shocked to know how quickly freelance business is growing. It is always advisable to lead the trend rather than follow it. Freelancers who are able to establish themselves now, will grow exponentially in the coming years.
Secondly, if you have the talent and if you know how to bag a job, you can definitely be a very successful freelancer.
There is very little I can do with the talent of an individual. It all depends on you. However, in this guide, am going to show you steps you should follow to bag more projects.
10 Practical Steps to Be a Successful FreelancerYou must manage freelancing like a business. That means set all your working hours into growing your business when you're not doing online work that pays the bills.
However, like starting any business, becoming a successful freelancer needs a lot of hard work, a strong set of skills, and the willingness to learn new things. Learn how to get started and how to be successful freelancer.
Check out 10 steps for becoming a successful freelancers:
1. Select your niche.A King of one trade is more likely to succeed than the jack of all.
If you have multiple skills, select the one you are very good at.
A web designer more than often knows about SEO, but he should concentrate on web designing and not try to take up pure SEO projects just because he “Knows A Bit” about SEO.
You may also like to read; 6 Types of Online Jobs To Earn Money Without Investments
2. Enhance your skills.Life is a learning process. No one in this world can be considered perfect.
Keep on learning new things that will enhance your skills and keep you updated with the world.
Check out 16 Most Effective Time Management Tips And Skills To Improve Productivity
3. Register at multiple websites.Register with as many websites as you can, more websites you register with, more the chances you have bagging a project.
If not more, do make sure to atleast register with the top 5 freelance websites. Most successful freelancers have their profiles at multiple websites across the internet.
4. Make an attractive resume.Remember, no matter what experience you have in real life, if you are new at a particular freelance website, you will be treated as a fresher. In order to make sure you are not treated at par with the “Actual Freshers”, you need to build up a solid profile.
Check the detailed page here: Top 18 Resume Making Tips For Getting Hired Fast [Download Free Sample]
Make sure to include all your educational and experience details. Highlight your achievements, but make sure you do not brag too much about it. Upload all the relevant certificates. If needed hire the services of professional Resume writer. You can hire a professional resume writer at Fiverr for as low as $5. A professional resume for sure can make you stand out of the crowd.
5. Upload your portfolio.If applicable, upload the portfolio of your work.
If you are a web designer, you can always screenshots of the websites designed by you along with a link with the same. A live work example will always help the client judge your abilities and so more chances of getting hired.
6. Read the job description.A lot of freelancers just read the Title and bid for the Job. However titles are not enough to judge client’s requirement. Read exactly what the client needs, what are the terms and conditions and the deadline for completing the job.
In some cases, clients want the freelancer to work only during a specific time of the day so that he can guide him or monitor the work. Read all this carefully before bidding for a job.
You may also like to read; 10 Ways To Use Technology & Internet For A Successful Job Search
7. Bid for relevant jobs.A lot of freelancers, in order to bag their first project, bid for things which they may not be able to complete. This may lead to a negative feedback by the client.
A negative feedback, may not be the end of you freelance career, but for sure end of of your career with that profile. You may though create a new profile. However, this would hurt you if you already have one positive rating prior to the negative one.
8. Write a catchy cover letter.Do not copy-paste a cover letter you found over internet, if you found it there are chances many others bidding for the job may too have.
Imagine yourself in place of the client having made to read the same thing again and again. This will surely not go well with the client. Write something unique and catchy which will make your cover letter unique.
Though you can hire professional services for cover letters, but it is not recommended. Unlike resume, the content of the cover letter should be written target your client’s job posting and should not be a general statement. To be a successful freelancer, you must learn to write a good cover letter yourself.
9. Clear your doubts.Once you receive reply from the client, ask him questions related to the project. Make sure your doubt or questions are genuine and necessary.
A good question can leave a good impression, a silly question, in most cases will make sure you are out consideration
10. Complete the job accurately and in time.Once you are awarded a project, give your 100% to it. Make sure you complete it with desired accuracy and before the deadline.
This will make sure the client will leave a positive feedback, which you can use as a reference for your future Jobs
Bottom LineGetting a job at freelance websites may not be easy, but if you have the talent and if you follow the above steps, you will definitely boost your chances of getting more jobs at any freelance websites.
Hope you found my article to be useful, if you did, do share it with your friends. If you have more suggestions, do let share it with us through the comments form below.